Homeowners Insurance

Safeguard your home and family with a Partners Mutual Insurance Homeowners Policy.

A Homeowners policy provides financial protection in the event that your home or its contents are damaged. It also provides protection if you or a family member are held legally responsible (liable) for injuries to others or damage to their property. It's also required by most mortgage lenders. 

Two-story home

Your Homeowners policy protects the following:

Your home – from the most common causes of loss

Other structures on your property – non-attached garages, tool sheds, etc.

Personal belongings (anywhere in the world) – furniture, clothing, appliances, etc.

Your living expenses – when damages force you to leave your home while it is being repaired or rebuilt

Liability claims – claims against you for bodily injury and property damage

Medical payments to others – pays non-household members accidentally injured on your property

Types of Insurance Policies

There are different types of insurance policies that cover your home. They range from a basic policy, to those that will provide a much broader range of protection. Most homeowners insurance policies will cover damage caused by such perils as fire, windstorms, hail, lightning, theft or vandalism. There are other homeowners policies that cover additional perils as well. Typically, floods, earthquakes, sinkholes, wear and tear, and intentional acts are excluded in all policies. It's important to talk to your agent to learn what your policy may and may not cover. And for those perils that are not covered, there may be supplemental insurance you can purchase.

The Amount of Insurance

The amount of insurance you buy (your coverage limit) starts with your dwelling coverage, which is the amount needed to fully rebuild your home in the event you suffer a total loss. It is important to point out that your home’s replacement cost at current prices could be higher than its actual market value. Your agent can calculate a cost estimate to rebuild your home based upon its living area, style, construction, number of rooms, garage and its special features.

Personal Property & Other Structures

The policy’s coverage for other structures, personal property and loss of use are provided as a percentage of your dwelling limit. For instance, your personal property limit is generally 50 percent of your dwelling limit (other structure limit is provided at 10 percent of dwelling, loss-of-use limit is 20 percent). Therefore, when you purchase a $300,000 limit for your dwelling, your personal property limit is $150,000 (or 50 percent). You can increase any of these base limits.


A deductible also applies to property losses. The deductible is the amount you would pay out of your own pocket before the insurance policy provides coverage. For instance, if you purchase a $1,000 deductible, then you will be responsible for paying the first $1,000 of a claim. You can save premium by selecting a higher deductible option.

Personal Liability

For your personal liability coverage, you can select the limit of coverage. Policies typically have a $100,000 minimum limit on personal liability, but you can choose a higher limit. Similarly, policies typically have a $1,000 minimum limit for medical payments coverage, with higher limits available for purchase. There is no deductible for personal liability. Your agent can help determine which limits are best for your situation.

Valuable Items

There are some classes of property that have specialized limits of coverage for some or all claim times. If you have extraordinarily valuable items in your home—antiques, oriental rugs, jewelry, guns, musical instruments, fine art, coin or stamp collections, or other types of high-value items—you should obtain an endorsement to your homeowners policy that specifically covers these items. It's important to keep an up-to-date inventory of your personal possessions. Your inventory should include a brief description of the serial and model number, and the cost. It can also include photographs or video of the items. Be sure to attach any receipts that you have for the items to your inventory, and to keep your inventory in a safe place such as a fireproof security box or safe, bank safe deposit box, or with a trusted member or friend.

A Partners Mutual Insurance agent can guide you in obtaining adequate protection for these valuables.


It was a home owner's disaster, but your adjuster was so calm and reassuring! He came to our house promptly and answered all our questions He returned my calls and was so helpful. You are a great company and addressed all our concerns. Thank you!

Cara B.

North Carolina