An inventory of your personal property will prove invaluable in case of fire, theft or other damage to your home. When you have completed the inventory, give a copy to your Partners Mutual Insurance agent to keep with your file, and keep a copy in your safe deposit box or in another off-site fireproof location. In addition to a written inventory, you may wish to take a photographic or video inventory.
Tips for taking inventory
- Set aside several hours to complete your inventory
- Go through each room methodically
- Take photos or video of each room to keep with your inventory
- Record the make and model, serial numbers, brand and manufacturer’s information where applicable
- Make specific notes of the value of especially valuable items
- Keep receipts with the inventory filed in an off-site, fireproof location
- Don’t forget closets, attic, basement and garages
- Appraisals of collections, jewelry, antiques and other valuables are very important. Keep copies of appraisals with your inventory form. Have your appraisals updated every several years.
- Update your inventory each time you make a significant purchase